I will still absolutely share the health benefits of coconut water as well as why its a great alternative to sports drinks because for those of you who do love coconut water is really is some amazing stuff!
The good stuff:
- Coconut water is 95% water.
- It's a pretty low calorie beverage for when you want something with a little more flavor then your usual water.
- It's high in potassium, which helps your brain and nervous system function properly.
- It contains magnesium. Only 32% of the population consume enough magnesium. Lack of adequate intake care lead to low energy, muscle spasms, and other more serious health concerns.
- It contains antioxidants. If you didn't know already, antioxidants are what help your body destroy free radicals that cause damage to your body.
Coconut water has It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink. Ounce per ounce, most unflavored coconut water contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams sugar, 61 milligrams (mg) of potassium, and 5.45 mg of sodium compared to Gatorade, which has 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 mg of potassium, and 13.75 mg of sodium (LINK).
While coconut water does have less sodium than most sports drinks, my personal biggest reason against drinking sports drinks are the food dyes.
The topic of food dyes is really an entirely different blog topic for another day, but they are toxins. And sports drinks are full of them!
If you have any questions or concerns, remember I'm always here for you. The journey to better health and lasting quality of life should be filled with love, laughter, and support. All you have to do it hit reply! And if you know a family member or friend who can use the support, please have them SIGN UP to receive my emails too!
You can always reach me any number of ways: by phone, email, or of course, in person at the office.
I hope you’ll stay in touch!